It’s estimated that adults and children in America get 1 billion colds each year.
A cold usually lasts anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks and is a viral infection that can cause a stuffy or runny nose, congestion, sore throat, cough, sneezing, low grade fever and/or body aches.
There are over 200 viruses that can make their home in the lining of our nose, grow and eventually attempt to infect our body, causing a cold.
If our immune system is strong enough we are often able to send the virus packing, however if our body is weak and unable to fight it off, we will get sick.
Despite what some think, there is no evidence that exposure to cold environments or having large tonsils, etc. cause us to “catch” colds. Rather, research suggests that stress, a weak immune system and allergies can increase our chances of getting a cold.
Maintaining proper rest, a proper diet and a natural lifestyle can be especially helpful when it comes to keeping our immune system strong and able to fight off unwanted intruders.
Helpful Essential Oils for Common Colds
- Lemon- Research found that lemon oil can activate the immune response in alveolar phagocytes, which are cells that protect our body by ingesting harmful particles, bacteria and unhealthy cells. Lemon essential oil can support lymphatic drainage and help increase our ability to fight off a cold.
- Thyme- Helps to drain congestion, fight off infections and rid our body of toxins.
- Ginger- Helps relieve discomfort from congestion and respiratory tract infections.
- Peppermint- Acts as an expectorant and helps to rid our body of toxic and harmful microorganisms that can lead to colds.
- Eucalyptus- Promotes open airways and clear breathing, also helping to cleanse our body of toxins that can lead to a cold.
DIY Common Cold Remedy
Combine the following, in a 10 ml roller ball, and apply topically to your throat, chest, forehead and the back of your neck throughout the day.
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- 3 drops of thyme essential oil
- 2 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- Fill remainder of roller ball with the carrier oil of your choice (fractionated coconut oil)
Common Cold Suggested Supplements
- Echinacea- Acts as an anti-inflammatory helping to reduce the symptoms of common colds.
- Elderberry- Act as an anti-inflammatory to help reduce the symptoms of a cold.
- Garlic- Research shows that garlic may decrease the length of a cold and potentially help stop it before it even begins.
Read Next: Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
If you’d like to start incorporating more essential oils and natural solutions into your everyday life, get Dr. Sara O’Connell’s free eBook: 10 Natural Health Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know.