Today allergies are becoming more prevalent than ever, especially in children.
An allergy is a negative immune system responses to a substance that doesn’t usually bother most people.
Common symptoms of allergies include itching, swelling, a blocked and runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes and headaches.
For some people allergies may just be an annoyance but for others it may be much more serious, leading to acute inflammation and respiratory distress.
Allergies can be to foods, insects, pollen, dust, mold, pets and medications. Those who suffer from allergies are often told to avoid triggers, but that isn’t always easy when seasons and environmental changes are constantly occurring.
Maintaining proper nutrition, utilizing specific supplements and using certain essential oils, can help to naturally address allergy symptoms and to boost the immune system.
Helpful Essential Oils for Allergies
- Peppermint- Acts as an expectorant and helps soothe respiratory irritation and stuffy nasal pathways.
- Eucalyptus- Promotes open airways and clear breathing by dilating blood vessels and allowing more air into the lungs.
- Lemon- Supports lymphatic drainage and helps rid the body of toxins.
- Lavender- Known to help balance the body and promote health wherever there is a need.
- Ginger- Contains anti-inflammatory properties that may help decrease symptoms.
Allergy DIY Remedy
Combine the following, in a 10 ml roller ball, and apply topically to your temples, wrists, under your nose and to the bottoms of your feet, throughout the day for seasonal allergy relief.
- 4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 4 drops of lemon essential oil
- 4 drops of lavender essential oil
- Fill remainder of roller ball with a carrier oil of your choice (fractionated coconut oil)
Allergy Suggested Supplements
- Stinging Nettle- Powerful herb with antihistaminic properties.
- Quercetin- Shown to reduce symptoms of hay fever and seasonal allergies.
- Spirulina- Proven to decrease allergy symptoms, including nasal irritations, itching and sneezing (found in Organifi Green Juice- use code DRSARA15 to get 15% off).
Read Next: Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
If you’d like to start incorporating more essential oils and natural solutions into your everyday life, get Dr. Sara O’Connell’s free eBook: 10 Natural Health Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know.