Lime (Citrus aurantifolia) essential oil is cold pressed from the peel of the fruit, and exhibits a sweet, tart and intense citrus aroma.
In addition to it’s delicious flavor, in the culinary world, lime essential oil also exhibits many therapeutic benefits. It’s a revitalizing, awakening, refreshing and stimulating oil, which may help in naturally decreasing depression, exhaustion and anxiety.
Lime essential oil has antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral and restorative properties and may affect the body’s digestive, immune and respiratory systems.
Lime essential oil is commonly used for bacterial infections, fevers, sore throats, skin health, mental clarity, gallstones, heartburn, healthy weight management, detoxification, and removal of gum, stains and grease marks.
Lime essential oil can be applied topically, directly to areas of concern or to reflex points, diffused aromatically or used internally.
8 Uses for Lime Essential Oil
- Skin Health Lime essential oil revitalizes skin and may help to brighten, tighten and improve the health, quality and appearance of skin. Add a few drops of lime essential oil to soaps and lotions, and/or dilute with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically to area of concern.
- Cleanse & Flavor Water Lime essential oil can help kill bacteria and add healthy zest to your water. Add 2 drops to your water and enjoy.
- Lymphatic Detox Lime essential oil encourages the removal of toxins from the body. Combine 2 drops each: lime, grapefruit, wild orange and lemongrass essential oils, with equal parts carrier oil, and apply topically underarms, and to lymphatic pathways.
- Sore Throat Lime essential oil has high antibacterial, antiseptic and antiviral properties. Place 1 drop under tongue and/or combine 1 drop lime with 1 drop peppermint essential oil and equal parts carrier oil, and apply topically over throat.
- Mental and Emotional Health Lime is an uplifting oil and may help decrease feelings of depression, anxiety, stress and exhaustion. Diffuse aromatically, add to bathwater, along with lavender essential oil, or apply topically to wrists and back of neck.
- Insect Repellant Lime essential oil can be used to repel insects and head lice. As a natural insect repellant, add 10 drops of lime essential oil to a spray bottle, filled with water, and spray over clothes or areas of concern. To kill and get rid of head lice, combine 10 drops of lime with 10 drops of tea tree essential oil, add equal parts carrier oil, and massage into hair for 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Gallbladder Health Lime essential oil may help clear gallstones. Combine lime, lemon and rosemary essential oils and apply topically over gallbladder and/or apply to bathwater, soak and enjoy.
- Gum, Grease & Stain Remover Lime essential oil works great for removing gum, stains, oils and grease spots. Test on a small area first, and then apply, without dilution, to surface and/or area of concern.
Lime Essential Oil Precautions
Avoid direct sunlight for 12 hours after topical use of lime essential oil.
When using any essential oil, especially internally, use only the highest quality essential oils that are 100% certified therapeutic grade or organic to ensure you’re getting a 100% pure oil and not one with unwanted and harmful chemicals or toxins.
Quick Thoughts: Lime Essential Oil
- Lime essential oil contains a high amount of the compound d-limonene which makes it great for cleaning and detoxification.
- Lime essential oil may be greatly beneficial for respiratory and immune system health.
- Lime is a very refreshing, uplifting and awakening oil, which may make it beneficial in helping decrease depression, anxiety and exhaustion.
- Lime essential oil makes a great addition to personal care products, such as soaps, lotions and deodorants.
- Lime essential oil works great in removing gum, grease, oil and other unwanted stains.
Read Next: Lavender Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
If you’d like to start incorporating more essential oils and natural solutions into your everyday life, get Dr. Sara O’Connell’s free eBook: 10 Natural Health Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know.