Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis) essential oil is steam distilled from the berries and needles of the plant and exhibits a sweet, balsamic, woodsy aroma.
Juniper Berry is known as a powerful detoxifier and immune booster, with antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, cleansing, diuretic and emotionally calming properties.
Juniper Berry is commonly used for acne, dermatitis and eczema, kidney stones, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), detoxification, arthritis, urinary tract infections, headaches, and warding off sickness. It may also be helpful as a natural solution for sore throats, respiratory issues, digestive health, fatigue and musculoskeletal complaints.
Juniper Berry essential oil can be applied topically to areas of concern or reflex points, diffused aromatically or inhaled directly, and/or taken, internally.
8 Uses for Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- Skin Health Juniper Berry supports the skin and may be beneficial at decreasing the appearance of acne, wrinkles, stretch marks, scars and other concerns. Apply a couple drops to skin care products, or dilute with equal parts carrier oil, and apply to area of concern.
- Kidney and Urinary Tract Health Juniper Berry may help stimulate and speed up detoxification and purification. Dilute 2 drops of juniper berry essential oil with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically to abdomen and lower back, and/or combine with 1/2 C epsom salt and add to bathwater.
- Immune Booster Juniper Berry exhibits high antibacterial and antiseptic properties and may aid in boosting the immune system. Dilute with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically to back of neck, wrists and soles of feet, and/or add 1 drop to herbal tea and enjoy.
- Healthy Sleep Juniper Berry helps to promote feelings of calmness throughout the body and may soothe musculoskeletal aches, pains and dysfunction. Dilute with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically to back of neck and bottoms of feet before bed, and/or diffuse aromatically with lavender essential oil bedside.
- Common Cold Symptoms Juniper Berry contains high antibiotic, antiseptic and immune boosting properties. Combine 2 drops of juniper berry essential oil with a teaspoon of raw honey, add to herbal tea and drink.
- Liver Detoxification Juniper Berry contains high cleansing and detoxification properties which help promote healthy detoxification in the body. Add 2 drops to herbal tea or smoothie and enjoy.
- Musculoskeletal Complaints Juniper Berry can help cool inflammation and soothe sore muscles and joints. Combine with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically to area of concern.
- Natural Laundry Soap Juniper Berry has antiseptic properties that can help stop the spread of bacteria. Add 6 drops to clothes in the washing machine, as a natural alternative to harsh chemicals.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil Precautions
Juniper Berry essential oil is best diluted, for topical use, as it may cause skin irritation in those with sensitive skin.
Women may want to avoid internal use of Juniper Berry, while pregnant and breastfeeding.
When using any essential oil, especially internally, use only the highest quality essential oils that are 100% certified therapeutic grade or organic to ensure you’re getting a 100% pure oil and not one with unwanted and harmful chemicals or toxins.
Quick Thoughts: Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- Juniper Berry contains a high amount of the compound alpha-pinene, which is shown to exhibit inflammation cooling and detoxification properties.
- Juniper Berry may help elevate spiritual awareness and promote emotional health.
- Juniper Berry is known for its calming effects on the nervous system.
- Juniper Berry has high antibiotic and immune boosting properties.
- Juniper Berry has a sweet, balsamic and woodsy aroma.
Read Next: Frankincense Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
If you’d like to start incorporating more essential oils and natural solutions into your everyday life, get Dr. Sara O’Connell’s free eBook: 10 Natural Health Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know.