Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum) essential oil is steam distilled, from the flowers of the plant, which is often referred to as the “immortal, everlasting flower,” due to its rejuvenating effects on skin health.
Helichrysum has a rich, sweet, honey, slightly spicy aroma, and can be used as a natural alternative to many high-end skin care products.
In addition to helichrysum’s incredible skincare benefits, it also exhibits numerous therapeutic benefits. Historically it has been used for asthma, bronchitis, whooping couch, headaches, liver health and skin disorders.
Helichrysum has antibacterial, anticatarrhal (mucus removal), anticoagulant (blood thinning), antioxidant, antispasmodic, antibiotic, anti fungal, antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
Helichrysum may help support the health of neurological tissues, cleanse the body and support emotional wellbeing.
Helichrysum oil has commonly been used to help treat abscesses, infectious diseases, aneurysms, bleeding, skin conditions, wounds and pain, viral infections, respiratory conditions and anger management.
Helichrysum contains a high amount of neryl acetate, which is a compound with properties that help cool inflammation, heal wounds and aid in healthy aging.
Helichrysum oil can be applied, neat (without dilution), topically directly to the area of concern or reflex points, diffused aromatically, inhaled directly, or taken internally.
7 Uses for Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Skin Health Due to its antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant properties, helichrysum oil may help improve a variety of skin conditions, such as wrinkles, acne, wounds, scars, various viruses, infections and bruising. Combine 2 drops with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically to area of concern.
- Nerve Health Helichrysum may help support neurological system, and may be useful in helping relieve symptoms of nerve conditions. Combine 2 drops of helichrysum with 2 drops of frankincense essential oil and apply topically to back of neck, wrists and soles of feet daily.
- Immune Booster Due to its healthy digestive and inflammatory cooling properties, helichrysum may help boost the immune system. Diffuse aromatically or apply topically to the back of neck, soles of feet and wrists.
- Healthy Cellular Function Helichrysum contains compounds, with antioxidant and other therapeutic properties, which help inhibit oxidative stress, DNA damage and cellular mutation. Add 1 drop to a cup of herbal tea and enjoy.
- Digestive Health Helichrysum oil helps to stimulate the secretion of gastric enzymes that are beneficial for healthy digestion. Helichrysum may help decrease indigestion, bloating and edema (excess water in the body). Apply 2 drops topically with a carrier oil to abdomen and/or add 1 drop to herbal tea and enjoy.
- Liver and Kidney Cleanse Helichrysum has inflammation soothing, blood purifying and detoxifying properties, which may improve liver, kidney and pancreatic health. Add 1 drop to herbal tea and enjoy.
- Inflammatory Soother Helichrysum has inflammation and spasm soothing properties, which help to reduce pain, swelling and bruising. Combine 2 drops with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically to the back of neck, soles of feet and other areas of concern.
Helichrysum Essential Oil Precautions
When using any essential oil, especially internally, use only the highest quality essential oils that are 100% certified therapeutic grade or organic to ensure you’re getting a 100% pure oil and not one with unwanted and harmful chemicals or toxins.
Quick Thoughts: Helichrysum Essential Oil
- Helichrysum is known as the “immortal, everlasting flower” due to its skin health benefits.
- Helichrysum is unsurpassed in its ability to help improve skin health.
- Helichrysum can help boost the immune system.
- Helichrysum may help uplift emotions and diffuse anger.
- Helichrysum can help support neurological tissue health.
Read Next: Frankincense Essential Oil Benefits & Uses
If you’d like to start incorporating more essential oils and natural solutions into your everyday life, get Dr. Sara O’Connell’s free eBook: 10 Natural Health Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know.