Frankincense (Boswellia frereana, Boswellia carterii, Boswellia sacra) is known as the “king of essential oils.” It is one of the most prized and precious essential oils because of its extraordinary list of health benefits.
Frankincense is a very holy oil, was one of 3 gifts presented to Baby Jesus at his birth and is referenced numerous other times throughout the Bible. It’s been used for thousands of years during meditation and spiritual practices.
Frankincense comes from incisions made into the bark of the small tree, where a natural gum/ resin is then produced and the oil is collected through steam distillation.
Frankincense essential oil is known for supporting the immune system and for exhibiting a healthy response to inflammation. It is best known for its anticatarrhal (decongestant), anticancer, antidepressant, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, anti-septic, anti-tumor, expectorant, immune stimulating and sedative properties.
It’s been used to help relieve stress and anxiety, support a healthy immune response, response to inflammation and more.
Yogi Quick Tip: Add a couple drops of Frankincense to some water, and lightly spritz your yoga mat at the beginning of practice, to increase grip and enhance focus and flow.
You can receive the benefits from frankincense essential oil by diffusing or inhaling the aroma directly, applying it topically to your skin (directly to the area of concern or to a reflex point), or by taking it internally; placing 1-2 drops under your tongue or consuming it in a capsule.
High concentrations of alpha-pinene provides frankincense with its potency. The terpenes in frankincense enable it to cross the blood-brain barrier, which makes it a very powerful essential oil for our nervous system and health in general. It appears to function as a broad spectrum antibiotic and has been shown to have extremely high antioxidant capabilities. Frankincense also increases the activity of leukocytes, which help our body fight off unwanted microbial invaders, and affects our emotional balance, immune system and skin as well.
8 Uses for Frankincense Essential Oil
- Cellular Health Studies have shown Frankincense essential oil to induce breast cancer cell death and help to fight specific types of cancer cells. Take 2 to 3 drops internally under your tongue, or massage the oil onto the affected area to support a healthy immune response.
- Joint & Muscle Pain and Discomfort Massage oil into affected area or diffuse to increase circulation and help relieve symptoms of pain and discomfort.
- Boost Immune System Studies demonstrate frankincense to have immune boosting abilities, and to be effective in fighting off unwanted germs on the skin, mouth or environment. Diffuse it, take a couple drops under your tongue, rub it on your temples, wrists or soles of your feet.
- Stimulate Respiratory Health Frankincense oil can be used to support healthy lung and nasal function. Diffuse 5 drops of frankincense oil and focus on taking nice deep breaths, or rub 2 to 3 drops onto your chest for respiratory support.
- Brain Health Frankincense essential oils has been shown to have a positive effect on memory and cognitive health for people who may have decreased brain health. Take it internally, under your tongue, diffuse it or apply it topically to the back of your neck or under your nose.
- Decrease Stretch Marks and Wrinkles Frankincense essential oil has been shown to help minimize stretch marks, decrease the appearance of scars and help to reduce or slow the progression of wrinkles. Combine 2 to 3 drops of frankincense essential oil with 2-3 drops of coconut oil and apply to the affected area.
- Meditation, Prayer and Yoga Frankincense oil helps to focus energy, minimize distractions and improve concentration, while also promoting a positive attitude, feelings of peace and relaxation. Diffuse it and anoint your loved ones in this ancient, powerful and healing oil.
- Reduce Headaches and Migraines Apply 1-2 drops of frankincense essential oil under your tongue and follow with a large glass of water to support nervous system health and help decrease headaches, migraines and discomfort.
Frankincense Essential Oil Precautions
Because Frankincense is known to have blood-thinning effects, those with problems related to blood clotting should consult with their healthcare provider before using this oil.
When using any essential oil, especially internally, use only the highest quality essential oils that are 100% certified pure, therapeutic grade, to ensure you’re getting a pure oil and not one with unwanted and harmful chemicals and toxins.
Quick Thoughts: Frankincense Essential Oil
- Frankincense is known as the “king of essential oils” and is a great oil to use when you are not sure which oil will be best.
- Frankincense essential oil calms the brain and nervous system, making it a great oil for improving your mood, emotional support, balance and health.
- Frankincense is great for skin health, anti-aging and decreasing scars and stretch marks.
- Frankincense works to boost immune function and decrease inflammation.
- Frankincense can be diffused, applied topically or taken internally by using a couple drops under your tongue or in a capsule.
Read Next: Lavender Essential Oil for Stress Relief
If you’d like to start incorporating more essential oils and natural solutions into your everyday life, get Dr. Sara O’Connell’s free eBook: 10 Natural Health Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know.