It’s no secret that a baby in the proper position for birth is ideal, as it often allows for more options and a more comfortable and smooth birth, something I’m guessing we’d all like.
The most optimal position for natural birth is your baby’s head down and facing in toward your spine.
While there is no 100% perfect, tried and true method for encouraging your baby to turn into or stay in this optimal position, there most definitely are things that we can be doing, especially during our third trimester of pregnancy, to encourage our baby to find this positioning. Try these natural pregnancy care tips to move the baby into the optimal position.
1. Sit up straight and avoid sitting on soft furniture
- It extremely important to maintain an upright posture. That means sitting up on your Ischial Tuberosities “butt bones” and not leaning back on your sacrum and coccyx (tail bone).
- Leaning back on soft furniture or in the bathtub, positions your pelvis in a way that is not optimal for your baby, limiting pelvic space and decreasing your baby’s ability to maintain proper positioning.
- Sitting tall and upright in a firm chair, exercise ball or “criss cross applesauce” (aka Tailor sitting) on the floor allows for proper pelvic positioning, as well as, encourages the uterus to move forward, increasing circulation and stretching the inner thigh muscles, which is especially helpful during labor and delivery.
- Think of it as you always want your belly button to be facing straight forward, not pointed up toward the sky.
2. Crawl around on your hands and knees
It may sound silly, but doing this creates more room for your baby to move and helps persuade them to get into the proper position. Doing this for about 15 minutes, 2-3 times/day is optimal, however even just 5 minutes can make a positive impact.
3. Be checked and seen by a Chiropractor who specializes in the Webster Technique
This technique is very gentle and specific to pregnant mothers. It’s very effective at balancing the pelvis and surrounding ligaments, important for birth, to allow the baby optimal room and encourage proper positioning. Visiting your chiropractor regularly is a great way to promote a healthy pregnancy.
4. Apply peppermint and myrrh essential oils
- To encourage your baby to turn head down (if they are in the breech position), combine a few drops of peppermint and myrrh essential oils along with a few drops of fractionated coconut oil, and apply from hip to hip, in a rainbow motion, up and around the top of your belly.
- To encourage your baby to turn into you from the posterior position, combine a few drops of peppermint and myrrh essential oils with a few drops of fractionated coconut oil, and apply in a circular motion to your low back, to encourage your baby to shift into the optimal position.
As I said above, there is no guarantee that these things are going to work for you and your baby. However, they have an excellent track record and will most definitely allow your body to function more optimally and be better set up for success.
While doing just one of the above can certainly make an impact, for best results combine all 4 of these wholistic pregnancy tips.
Spinning Babies is also a great resource to check out for more on this subject.